It’s our newest product line launched in June 2018 and expanded in September 2019. It features breakthrough plug & use technology with three patent-pending innovations.
The Fischer Freedom™ Series is designed for EASE OF USE and EASE OF INTEGRATION to meet versatile requirements, particularly in terms of SWaP (Size, Weight and Power) requirements, cable management optimization, electronic network integration and wearable technology:
- Easy cleaning – Products within this series are designed to be fully cleanable (on both the receptacle and plug sides), even in harsh outdoor environments
- Easy mating – Designed for quick, easy mating and unmating in the field
- Easy integration – Ideal for easy integration into fixed, portable and wearable devices for any market; Freedom connectors are available in a pre-cabled version or for direct integration into devices’ housings, making them ideal for use in applications where SWaP (Size, Weight, and Power) is critical.
The Fischer LP360™ connector in size 14 with 7 contacts for signal & power is the first product in the Freedom Series. The product line grew through a first extension in September 2019 with new features, new configurations & sizes, new materials and new active devices.
The Fischer Freedom™ Series is more than a traditional product line. Thanks to its technological innovations, the Fischer Freedom™ Series serves as a versatile and modular technology platform setting new standards in usability, integration capability and versatility. It’s an innovation enabler and accelerator in both connectivity and device development, particularly in terms of SWaP (Size, Weight and Power) requirements, cable management optimization, electronic network integration and wearable technology. In September 2019, Fischer FreedomTM also expanded with active devices (USB 2.0 adaptor, LED, Rugged Flash Drive) to enable innovations in active solutions with the goal, among others, to maximize the usability, interoperability and multifunctionality of electronic devices and ecosystems. Fischer Freedom’s plug & use technology also allows what we at Fischer Connectors call a “connectivity-by-design” process. Connectivity design can (and should) take place upstream in the device design process, not downstream. With this new versatile and modular technology at hand and a large choice of solutions out of their engineering toolkit, Fischer Connectors’ customers – mainly design engineers and integrators – can now design their devices from the outset.
The Fischer LP360™ is the first product line in the Fischer Freedom™ Series, launched by Fischer Connectors in June 2018, with three breakthrough plug & use technological innovations in mating (360-degree mating freedom), locking (sealed, blind-mate, non-magnetic quick-release locking mechanism), materials (IP68 sealing of contacts via a membrane). The current Fischer LP360™ product line includes connectors in size 14 (7 contacts for signal & power) and in size 08 (4 contacts for signal & power), in metal and plastic, as well as three active devices: a USB 2.0 adaptor, a LED and a Rugged Flash Drive. The connector’s cabled plugs and receptacles are available with a standard one-meter cable. Protective caps are also available.
The LP360™ connector was developed in conjunction with UK Prime Contractors for defense with the focus on the military market to contribute, among others, to the Soldier Modernization Program in line with the Generic Soldier Architecture (GSA). Initial signal & power requirements were 4 signal contacts for USB 2.0 and 3 contacts for power up to 5A (in size 14). The product line expanded with new features, sizes, configurations, materials and active devices in September 2019 to respond to the versatile requirements and needs of various markets such as medical, instrumentation, industrial, IoT, etc.
To meet their customers’ versatile needs, Fischer Connectors’ R&D engineers plan to continue developing solutions that fulfill various requirements in terms of signal & power management and data protocol, contact configurations and body styles, materials, active devices, as well as cabling and wiring options. For design engineers, one of the main benefits of the Fischer Freedom™ technology platform is the integration capability of the low-profile Fischer LP360™ connector. Its panel plug can be directly integrated into the housing of any devices (e.g. the new Fischer LP360TM USB 2.0 adaptor, LED and Rugged Flash Drive – other active devices are under development). This opens up new development pathways for innovative active solutions integrated into electronic networks where power source and communications are centralized within shared data & power buses and hubs. As for the new cabled receptacle in metal, it’s a ready-to-use solution that also maximizes the usability, operability and functionality of robotic systems or smart vests, into which it can easily be integrated. These solutions are ideally used in applications for portable and body-worn “wearables”, among others, for the so-called “connected human” – a huge trend in the connectivity sector –, as well as in IoT applications.
Three active devices are available for the moment: the Fischer LP360™ USB 2.0 adaptor is a rugged interface for any USB application; the Fischer LP360™ LED increases end users’ security, visibility and identification; the Fischer LP360™ Rugged Flash Drive offers safe data storage & transportation. The Fischer LP360™ active devices benefit from the breakthrough plug & use technology of Fischer Freedom™ (easy mating, easy cleaning, easy integration). The Fischer LP360™ panel plug being directly integrated into the device’s housing, they’re examples of innovative active solutions integrated into electronic networks where power source and communications are centralized within shared data & power buses and hubs. More active devices are under development.
The new product line serves as a versatile and modular technology platform that opens the door to a new world of opportunities in both connectivity and application design. It’s ideal for applications:
- Where cable management is an issue, in terms of rotation, cable exit direction, and space optimization
- Needing integration into devices or garments/textiles
- Where space and weight matter, with low-profile connectivity being an asset
- Requiring data transfer: USB 2.0 and Ethernet
- When performance, reliability and ruggedness are key – compliant with MIL standard in terms of temperature, vibration, wear & tear, sealing
The Unique Selling Propositions (USPs) of the Fischer LP360™ connectors and active devices are:
1. No key code: 360°mating freedom & optimized cable management
2. Sealed, blind-mate and non-magnetic quick-release locking mechanism with pre-defined force (patent pending)
3. Emergency release unlocking (no latching)
1. Membrane-sealed contacts (patent pending)
2. Surface contacts (no female cavity or protruding male contacts)
3. IP68 sealing to 20m/24h for the connector in metal, IP67 sealing for the connector in plastic
1. Low profile, right-angled plug
2. (Receptacle) Wearable integration, panel mounted OR cabled
3. (Plug) Easy cable assembly OR direct integration into the device’s housing